The firm of E & GG Hook built the organ in St. Mary's Church in 1871 for St. Alphonsus Church, New York City. Upon demolition of that church the organ was relocated through the Organ Clearing House, Alan Laufman, director.
Restoration of St. Mary's Church was being undertaken at that time with funding by the Knights of Columbus in anticipation of the centennial of their founding. The organization was begun by the pastor of the parish. The generosity of the Knights extended to an agreement by them to fund the relocation and rebuilding of the Hook organ.
Rebuilding of the organ
involved the efforts of many parties, including the following:
| Brunner & Heller
Philip A. Beaudry Co.
William Betts & Co.
Stuart Organ Co.
Work was begun under a contract with Richard Hamar. It was continued following his default under a contract with Alan Laufman and Lawrence Trupiano. Upon their default, a contract was entered into with the Stuart Organ Company to complete the organ.
The Stuart Organ Company initially became involved in the project as an independent contractor in the earlier stages of the project. The company's work included design, fabrication and installation of key action components, electro-pneumatic stop actions, and swell mechanism
Work performed under the Stuart completion contract included correction of deficiencies in the initial phases of the work; design, fabrication and installation of pulldown actions and coupler components with the exception of those of the Great Organ, previously completed. The work also included installation of trim components, restorative revoicing of the pipework and tonal finishing of the organ.